The contest venue—SpaceX Event Center and restaurant Viktoria
The Contest Exhibition will take place in the SpaceX Event Center. The historical factory building has been converted into a modern spacious and comfortable event centre. Space X is a multifunctional room in the modern business environment of Ülemiste City in Tallinn. Owing to its minimalistic and functional concept inspired by the unlimited cosmos, the room can be used in its available form or customised according to need.
Restaurant Viktoria offers catering at lunch during EUCYS 2017. Restaurant Viktoria captivates guests with its cozy wooden interior. SpaceX is centrally located in Ülemiste City at Keevise 6. The centre is easily accessible from whatever spot in Tallinn and is in the immediate vicinity of the airport.
The Welcoming Dinner on the 22nd of September will take place in the Seaplane Harbour.
The Estonian Maritime Museum is an institution for collecting, preserving, studying and presenting Estonian maritime culture and history. The mission of the museum is to promote knowledge about, respect for and love of the sea. The museum was founded in Tallinn upon the initiative of former captains and sailors in 1935. During its long history, the museum has moved on a number of occasions and since 1981, its main exhibition is located in the 500-year-old Fat Margaret tower in Tallinn Old Town. In May 2012, the Maritime Museum opened another exhibition venue at the Seaplane Harbour. Today, the Maritime Museum is one of the largest museums in Estonia, and the most popular one—particularly thanks to the Seaplane Harbour exhibition.
Seaplane Harbour accommodates one of Europe’s grandest maritime museums. You are invited to see the authentic submarine Lembit from the 1930s, a Short 184 seaplane, mines, cannons and many other life-sized exhibits. The Seaplane Harbour, including the Seaplane Hangar, was built as a part of Peter the Great’s naval fortress 100 years ago on the orders of the Russian emperor Nicholas II. The architecture of the Hangar is remarkable, featuring the world’s first columnless thin-shell concrete domes of such volume. The building was used for seaplanes until the Second World War.
The museum and Seaplane Hangar have been recognised with a number of awards: Estonia’s Most Tourist-Friendly Museum 2012, Europa Nostra Grand Prix 2013, Special Commendation from the European Museum of the Year 2014, and a number of others.
The Seaplane Harbour provides memorable experiences: lots of interesting reading, a voyage around the world in the Yellow Submarine, opportunity of taking photos in naval uniforms, a big aquarium, simulators, paper plane precision throwing and many more exciting activities.
The Opening Ceremony of EUCYS 2017 on 23 September and the EIROforum lecture on 24 September will take place in Ülemiste City in the restaurant Dvigatel. The restaurant is called Dvigatel as a reference to the factory that was located in the area. The restaurant building has been fully renovated and it caters for more than 1,500 customers in Ülemiste City daily.
In 1897 Nicholas II, the last Emperor of Russia, approved the articles of association of a new public limited company called Dvigatel in his residency in Tsarskoye Selo. The plant started operation on 9 May 1899, its main activity being the maintenance of railways, primarily the production of cars as well as the maintenance and repairs of locomotives. The plant employed 4,000 people, including 70 engineers.
In early 20th century, Dvigatel was severely impacted by the Russian economic crisis, with both demand and output decreasing substantially. During the years of World War I the plant manufactured 3-inch and 6-inch shells. After the Tartu Peace Treaty was signed between the Republic of Estonia and the Russian SFSR, economic bonds between close neighbours were broken and the output immediately decreased.
During the following 10 years, Dvigatel was constantly on the verge of bankruptcy, until it actually did go bankrupt in 1931. New owners failed to make the plant successful as they only produced for the domestic market. During World War II Dvigatel mainly manufactured consumables. However, the entire plant sustained damage due to the war and lay in ruins for several years.
In 1947 it was decided that Dvigatel should be run by the Council of Ministers of the USSR and by mid-1950s the plant had already been completely rebuilt. Dvigatel started to manufacture air coolers, hermetic valves, vacuum pumps, and containers of various capacities, among other things. In the 1980s the plant started the mass-production of nuclear energy equipment and preparations were made to develop a space missile defence system.
With Estonia gaining re-independence, Dvigatel lost all its market potential again and in 1991 it was re-established as a government-owned public limited company. In 1996 Dvigatel was privatized by AS Diamark, established specifically for this purpose, one partner being AS Mainor.
During the following 10 years the owners tried to restore the production capacity of the former Dvigatel plant, until in 2005 it was decided to completely restructure it. In light of the increase in real estate prices and the development of city planning, the present Ülemiste City had become an attractive area for real estate development.
In the spring of 2005, AS Mainor, the so far largest shareholder of AS Diamark, acquired the majority ownership of the company and decided to survey what exactly could be done on the territory of the former war plant. It was soon understood that Tallinn lacks a modern technology campus. Kista Science City, a technology campus near Stockholm, which is sometimes also referred to as the Silicon Valley of the North, was chosen as the reference model.
Today the versatile and future-oriented Smart City of Ülemiste City is located on the 36-hectar territory of Dvigatel.
The article “Suur mootor – Dvigatel” (Large engine—Dvigatel) by Margus Kruut was published in the May 2009 issue of the magazine Tehnikamaailm.
The dinner and evening event on 23 September will take place in the Energy Discovery Centre. The location is a unique electricity and energy themed science centre where you can discover, play and learn. The exhibitions are focused on the creation of educational programs and activities, in particular about engineering, natural and exact sciences. The centre’s most interesting exhibit at the Energy Exhibition is the Tesla generator in a Faraday cage. Unique in Europe, it allows to demonstrate 3-meter lightning bolts. It is also worth mentioning the lightning bridge that allows us to demonstrate static electricity, the net charge of an object. The center hosts the Energy Exhibition on two floors and classical physics is introduced at the Sound and Light exhibit.
The centre is also in a partnership with many schools, because our exhibits and programmes are built on the basis of the Estonian school curriculum. Owing to its historical power plant setting, the centre mostly covers the subjects of IT, natural and formal sciences.
The evening event on the 25 September will take place in the Art Museum of Estonia, KUMU. Kumu is the headquarters of the Art Museum of Estonia, as well as the largest and most impressive exhibition venue in Estonia. The museum opened on 17 February 2006. In 2008 Kumu received the European Museum of the Year Award. This is a noteworthy international recognition to Kumu’s aspirations of becoming a truly contemporary art museum, which is not just dedicated to collection, conservation and exposition. Instead, it is a multifunctional space for mental activity ranging from educational programmes for small children to discussions about the nature and meaning of art in the modern world.
The construction of Kumu stretched over a long period and, during this time, the concept of the museum also changed: the building that had initially been planned as a national gallery became a museum that functions on two levels: collections of Estonian art starting from the early 18th century are displayed on the third and fourth floor, and a modern art gallery is on the fifth floor. Art pre-dating World War II is exhibited on the third floor; the fourth floor houses an exhibition of works from the period of Soviet occupation. On Kumu’s fifth floor, there are exhibitions of contemporary art from Estonia and abroad. The contemporary art gallery is not just an exhibition venue but also an idea laboratory—a place where creativity has the freedom to experiment.
Current exhibitions at KUMU:
- The Savages of Germany. Die Brücke and Der Blaue Reiter Expressionists
- Permanent exhibition: Treasury. Classics of Estonian Art from the Beginning of the 18th Century until the End of the Second World War.
- Children of the Flowers of Evil. Estonian Decadent Art
- Conflicts and Adaptations. Estonian Art of the Soviet Era (1940–1991)
- Chronicles of Art Life. The photographers have recorded the Estonian art and culture scene (Jaan Klõšeiko, Jüri Tenson, Kalju Suur and others.)
- Travellers. Voyage and Migration in New Art from Central and Eastern Europe
The Award Ceremony on 26 September will take place in the Estonia Concert Hall. This neoclassical imposing building is a symbol of Estonia’s political and cultural power. Traditionally, the most festive events are held here, including receptions of the Estonian President and New Years’ Eve celebrations.
No other hall in Estonia can compete with the Estonia Concert Hall in combining history with flexibility and beauty with adaptability. The Hall promotes its own concert season featuring prestigious visiting artists and it is the home venue of the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra.
The Estonia Concert Hall was designed and constructed as part of the Estonia Theatre building. The architects were Armas Lindgren and Olivia Mathilda Lönn. The first concert in the newly opened concert hall of the Estonia Theatre took place on 7 September 1913.
On 9 March 1944, the building was destroyed during an air raid. Reconstruction work was started within the same year, led by architect Alar Kotli. The Estonia Theatre building was rebuilt in 1946. In summer 1997, the Estonia Concert Hall was thoroughly renovated at the initiative of the State Concert Institute Eesti Kontsert.
The Farewell Party will take place in the evening of 26 September at the Tallinn Song Festival Grounds.
The Song Festival Grounds were built in the 1960s for Song Festivals. In the previous half a century, the song festival grounds became the symbol of dignity, freedom and innovation. Under this arch, Estonians have sung their nation free, while different pop- and rock stars have also performed here during their world tours. More than 15,000 people can stand under the arch; almost 300,000 people have stood in front of it side by side to sing. There are several conference rooms and concert halls in the facilities under the arch.
The farewell party will take place in the Glass Hall, the main venue of the Song Festival Grounds for holding receptions, concerts, conferences, fashion shows and banquets. The Glass Hall on the second floor is a duplex. It is very spacious, light and has a beautiful view.
The Light House next to the arch is 42 m high and the torch on top of it is lighted only during Song Festivals. Nevertheless, the tower is open all year round to people who want to admire the beautiful view.